Pregnancy massage provides relaxation by relieving stress on joints. It eases neck and back pain, helps you to keep good posture and relaxes and provides flexibility to birthing muscles. Pregnancy massage also aids the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which keeps blood flowing to both mother and baby. It stimulates different glands in the body, which help to stabilize hormone levels, and relieves nervous tension throughout the body.
A nurturing touch during pregnancy massage promotes relaxation and provides emotional support.
Before you get pregnancy massages, make sure the therapist is qualified & specialises in pregnancy massage, as your massage will be much more beneficial with a therapist who has vast experience in this type of massage. Certain acupressure points should be avoided & your therapist should only use base carrier oils. Aromatherapy oils should be avoided in pregnancy massage. Pregnancy massage should not be done in the 1st trimester.
Regular pregnancy massages, also known as pre-natal massage have many benefits throughout your pregnancy. Pregnancy massage is especially beneficial in the second and third trimesters, when the extra weight that you carry out in front puts particular strain on your back.
- Massage enhances the experience of Pregnancy. Nurturing the body by releasing tension, minimizing muscular imbalances & generating the relaxation response in the body.
- Regular pregnancy massage shortens labour time.
- Alleviates Sciatic pain.
- Aids Pelvic Girdle pain.
- Helps increase circulation, delivering more oxygen & nutrients to mother & baby.
- Eases tension in the lower back & neck, & minimizes leg cramps.
- Increased relaxation assists in reducing stress & insomnia.
- Increases blood & lymph flow which aids the elimination of toxins, therefore reducing fatigue & fluid retention.
- Stimulates the release of endorphins – the body’s natural pain killers.
- Relieves headaches.
- Stress relief of weight bearing joint such as ankles, lower back and pelvis.
- Neck and back pain relief caused by muscle imbalance and weakness.
- Assists in maintaining proper posture.
- Improves circulatory system decreasing progression of varicose veins.
- Prepares the muscles used during childbirth.
- Post natal massage assists in toning & detoxing muscles after childbirth, increasing strength & flexibility.
What Happens During Pregnancy Massage?
A pregnancy massage differs from other types of massage. Firstly the massage therapist will take extra care to make sure your body gets the cushioning and support it needs.
Specialised pregnancy massage centres also use special tables with a fully supported trampoline like cutout in the centre which stretches to any size tummy. This allows you to lie face-down comfortably keeping you spine perfectly aligned throughout your treatment for optimum results.. You can also have your pregnancy massage lying on your side, with pillows under your head and between your legs if preferred.
Post Natal Massage is also beneficial for after the birth. Post Natal massage can help restore a mother’s body to its pre-pregnancy condition. It helps to realign the body weight, and tones the over-stretched skin over the belly. As with all massage, it relieves muscle tension and stress from mothering duties!
Please note: If you have a Caesarian delivery you should wait at least six weeks for a postnatal massage.